Christmas is almost here and you know what that means?
I can't wait to bake and sample multiple cookies. For me the quintessential Christmas cookie has to be filled with spices. Of course there's the traditional gingerbread cookie which is lovely and delicious but I don't always like to go traditional.
This year it feels like Christmas has come too quickly. I love Christmas and I can't believe that I have had no time to enjoy all of my favorite things about it and I still have one more exam left!
Does anyone else love Christmas songs? My favorite is Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Its so epic and possibly the only Christmas song you could walk slowly away from an explosion to.
What's your favorite Christmas song?
These are not your average oatmeal cookies as they are loaded with tons of spices. This makes them a very tasty but still sweet and satisfying cookie. I shared these with some friends and they all enjoyed them so I'm sure you will too.
Spicy Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from How it All Vegan
Makes 30 cookies
1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
Dash ground cloves
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup sour milk*
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Bring a half cup of water to a boil and pour over the dried cranberries. Let this sit for a couple minutes so your cranberries get nice and plump. Then drain
3. Stir together oats, flour, baking soda, and spices in a bowl
4. Add applesauce, oil, milk, and cranberries. Stir until combined.
5. Scoop dough onto a baking sheet and gently flatten
6. Bake 8-10 minutes till cookies are browned on the bottom and baked through
* For sour milk, whisk together 1/2 cup soy milk or milk with 1/2 tsp vinegar. Let this sit for a few minutes to get sour.