Chocolate Cherry Cake for My Birthday
This year is a very special birthday for me because I turn 19 years of age on the 19th day of the month! I consider 9 and 19 my lucky numbers so I'm pretty excited. Sometimes I really can't believe how old I am getting. Sometimes it scares me but I know that it is inevitable so I try to live with it.
I would like to celebrate this past year of my life by reflecting on what I have accomplished:
- I started my first year of University. This was a great experience for me because of the amazing things I have learned and the confidence I have gained by completing my scholastic challenges
- I started a blog! I honestly should have started a long time ago but I was afraid that I would not be able to commit to it. Obviously that is turning out not to be an issue!
- I discovered more about myself and what I would like to do as a career
- Ich habe Deutsch gelernt! I learned German which was very important to me because I have a German heritage and I love learning languages
- I took a coaching course for figure skating
- To go along with that, I am also proud of continuing figure skating despite some obstacles
- I started hot yoga. I've practiced yoga for many years but only recently I have been going to classes consistently. I love my hot yoga classes because they make me feel me feel better about myself and more balanced
- I got my first job
Anyhow now that I have all of that out of the way, it's cake time!
My favorite cake is Blackforest so of course I wanted to have something similar to that for my birthday. I decided on this chocolate cake with cherries baked in on the bottom and some Grand Marnier (I wish I had some Kirsch!) in the batter. Just like a Blackforest cake except a little bit simpler.
|I decorated my cake with dried cherries|
This cake is really yummy. The cherries stick out like little gems on the bottom and the chocolate cake is so light and fluffy.
And I haven't forgotten that it is also Father's Day. A big thank you to all of the dads out there! If you need a good excuse to bake this cake, today is the day.
Chocolate Cherry Cake
one 9 inch cake
Gently remove cake out of pan and if desired frost the cake on the side without the cherries (see recipe below)
You may alternatively serve this as an upside-down cake
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Beat butter until creamy
Add in all of the rest of the ingredients and beat the frosting until smooth and creamy. About 2 min