I'm not always one to want to make no-bake treats, simply because I love turning on the oven and seeing what I've mixed up turn into something new. I have to say though that these no-bake candy bars are changing my mind. They are probably my most favorite thing I have created in a while!
These candy bars are packed with all the good things. They have no processed sugar, can be made paleo, are gluten-free, and vegan! and they are so so so good!! I really suggest that you make them stat!
If you wish to make these paleo, you can substitute the peanut butter with almond butter
I find that the peanut butter taste gets more prominent once you let the bars sit overnight so try not to eat them all at once!
|Everything in the pan|
Chocolate Quinoa Candy Bars
Adapted from here
Makes 12 small squares
12 pitted dates (or a little bit more than 1 cup, let soften in water if needed)
1/2 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 tbsp honey
3-4 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Place all bar ingredients in a food processor and blend until the mixture comes together and everything is combined
2. Line an 8x8 baking dish with wax paper and evenly press the mixture in
3. Place in fridge while you make the chocolate
4. Place coconut butter and coconut oil in a bowl and microwave for 30 second intervals until melted
5. Add in honey and stir vigorously
6. Add in cocoa powder and carefully stir until mixture is combined and looks thicker
7. Pour chocolate layer over bars
8. Place in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes until chocolate mixture is hardened
9. Take out of freezer and remove bars from dish by gently picking it up by the wax paper
10. Cut into bars and eat!
11. Store in fridge
I'm not a huge fan of candy bars so anybody have an idea of what they might taste like? I keep thinking Oh Henry but I feel like there is something closer to them out there :D